Tuesday 27 April 2010

Cally Road

I mentioned a blog or three back that I'd gone on the board of Housmans Bookshop on Caledonian Road in London. The Guardian has now commissioned a "sound map" by Alan Dein about Cally Road, which is now on line. Housmans comes in around number ten on the map as you get close to Kings Cross, but I was pleased to see Diana Shelley earlier on talking about the battles with developers to save the area for the people who live there and the small traders who survive there. I first met Diana and Albert Beale, interviewed in the Peace News building which hosts Housmans, back in the 70s in the British Withdrawal from Northern Ireland Campaign. I should add that some young people are also quoted during the programme.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/interactive/2010/apr/26/caledonian-road-sound-map

No comments: